Saturday, May 9, 2009

Memories



When I remember you...
I remember a woman not much older than I.
Busy with the day to day.
The small things.
I see your back from my seat at the table,
doing dishes
with a towel over your shoulder.
Or seated in the den;
the way your graceful hands moved
while you did your needlework.
I hear the sound of your shoes
making their way through
the breezeway after work.
And just how big your smile was
when something struck you funny.

When I remember you...
I remember a woman who struggled.
Who tried her very best and sometimes failed.
The not so small things.
I see your tears,
and I recall your triumphs.
The way you'd stand your ground
and the way you persevered.
And in spite of it all
the love that never died;
because you wouldn't think yourself
a winner if you ever let it go.

Sometimes it's hard to remember you...
The years have stretched long
between then and now.
A different world spins
than the one we shared.
Different players, different loves;
some that you never
got the chance to meet.
And others you loved
that no longer are here.
But know that I try to remember
the small things and the not so small.
And every time I do,
we're together again.



For My Mom... 9/14/30 - 10/17/83
I Love You

2 comments:

  1. Amazing words...Mom is always everything although she was passed away....I love you mom...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful. I'm so sorry for your loss. My mom died 2 years ago. Writing to and about her at times has helped.
    P.S. This is not a card... :D

    ReplyDelete