Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Why Blog?

I started a blog in 2005. It was geared towards random thoughts and observations that I found humorous or interesting. Since I'm completely left of normal these little snippets of the mundane were probably only understood by me. Which was fine since no one followed my blog anyway. A fun little past time that kept me engaged when staying up far too late (which I do on a routine basis).

In December of that same year while preparing for a holiday visit from my sister I got the phone call that she had passed away in her sleep. To this day I can't quite wrap my mind around the fact that at one minute I was making preparations for her visit and in the next she was gone. It seemed like only a moment lapsed between stocking my refrigerator and standing in a cold cemetary saying a last goodbye. I forgot about the blog I had started and it died as well...

Recently I was ruminating about her loss and I wondered if she had shared all of the stories she had within her. Had she been able to tell her son about her first date? first love? the day of his birth? Her years were short, so perhaps she couldn't tell them all. But I hope so much she shared some. Being a story teller myself I couldn't imagine leaving my children without them knowing my story.

Perhaps I wonder because there are so many times that a song will play, a poem read or a picture seen that brings to my mind a question for my Mom or Dad. I'm left to fill in the blanks myself so often. So why blog?

To share small moments. Fragments in time that even I have sometimes forgotten. As they come to me I hope to place them here. So that some day, should I be gone, those people that care will be able to visit here and perhaps in some small way visit me...

For: Deborah. I miss you every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment